Saturday, January 2, 2010

be fishers of men

On facebook just now there was a poll asking where "In and Out Burger" should expand. When looking through the comment one person suggested Albuquerque and listed several valid reasons it would make good business sense. The last reason listed was "high population of Christians who appreciate Christian owned business."

It made me think about what it is to be Christian business owner. I have no comments on In-and-Out burger as I know nothing about their business practices that either support or suppress a Christian life. I just know that they have good french fries.

My husband works for a small ambulance company who's owner claims to be Christian. I say claim, because while I know he attends a local evangelical church, his behavior gives the word Christian a bitter taste in ones mouth.

As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon
called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for
they were fishermen. "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers
of men." At once they left their nets and followed him. Going on from there, he
saw two other brothers, James son of Zebedee and his brother John. They were in
a boat with their father Zebedee, preparing their nets. Jesus called them, and
immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him. -NIV Matthew
4:18-22

A "Born-Again" Christian once recited this to me as her reason while she felt compelled to preach to me. I found her annoying and each time she preached at me, I felt a stronger and stronger repulsion to her "faith." As a person, I found her close minded, bigoted and shallow. She appeared to me to have little compassion for people who were different than her. She for the longest time represented Christianity to me and I wanted nothing to do with it.

Ironically, I began seriously investigating my faith when I attended an Orthodox Jewish Wedding. As best friends with the bride who had recently converted, I found myself welcomed with complete openness into a home of Orthodox Jews for Shabbat. During that meal, I had a wonderful debate with the man of the home as we drank Whiskey and debated politics. His viewpoints were completely different than mine, but we managed to respect each other and laugh at each other. His wife would smirk at us both and roll her eyes. This family was kind, opinionated, generous, open-minded, compassionate, and extremely faithful. This is what I wanted.

I was fairly certain that despite my fascination and enjoyment of this culture it was not the right fit for me. But I realized I did indeed have a spiritual need and I needed a community to help me feed it. In the end I realized that I was "Christian," because I do in fact believe that Christ sacrificed his life for me (and for everyone else, no hold barred), because without that sacrifice none of are worthy.

Isn't ironic, that a Jewish family were who scooped me out of the Ocean and sent me on my spiritual path? They were the true fishermen. Not the girl who thumped her bible at me, but instead the people who lived generosity and compassion.

Fortunately for me I eventually found a community that helped me feed my spiritual need. It took me some time and some work, but I did find it. But I wonder it would have taken me to start looking if it hadn't been for that family. How long would it have taken without the true fishermen. People who in fact lived their faith not just spoke the words.

Unfortunately, I have discovered that living the life is very very hard. I find myself failing all the time. But I realize that if I want to be a true fisher of men, I need to try. I wonder if "Christian" companies feel the same way? Are they interested in being fisher of men? And if so what do they do about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment